Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Digital Reading


I read and hear a lot of derision heaped on digital books and e-readers. As if reading an e-book isn't the same as reading a “real” book. Like when I read Leo Tolstoy or Alexandre Dumas or Thomas Paine on my Nook, I'm not actually reading their works.

Really? Really, Mr. Luddite?

I'm going to come right out and call you a hypocrite, then.

Yes, I said it. You're a hypocrite. If a book on my Nook isn't a “real book”, then songs on your iPod aren't “real music”, either. Don't watch any DVDs, my friend. As a matter of fact, stay away from cable TV, my self-righteous pal.

I've read that people made similar protests when the mass market paperback book (the near-pocket size) was introduced. I imagine the same happened when paperbacks were developed.

So, if you're against e-books, then stay away from any recorded music, play, movie, or any other form of reproduced entertainment as well.

Scribes copying individual copies by hand => e-books.
Orchestra => mp3
Moving Picture => Blu Ray

Nook, iPad, Blu Ray player, cable TV. All digital.

Natural progression, folks. Evolve or stagnate. Stagnate and die.

4 comments:

  1. troublemaker. we'll have a good night drinking beer together some day, worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You flatter me, sir. Let me know if and when you'll be visiting Austin again, and we'll drink a few. I hear there's this really cool place on 6th Street..... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Someone felt that reading a e-book did not 'count' somehow?

    Absurd!

    I mean, I like paper books because I can write notes in the margins and dog ear the pages, and I am clumsy and if I drop one it probably won't break beyond repair, but to denigrate the -reading- of an e-book as somehow not real reading is like saying that the King James version of the bible isn't a 'real' one because it's not in Hebrew.

    I will have one someday, though simply for the space savings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sort of like people looking down their noses. You know that attitude: "If it's not a Harley, it's not a -real- motorcycle", "I wouldn't ever drive any car not made by XXX". That kind of thing. I've encountered book snobbery, too, so it doesn't take me too much by surprise, but I felt the need to voice (post?) my feelings. By the way, I don't know about the Kindle, but you can make your own notes on the Nook, and you can insert unlimited digital bookmarks without adding to the thickness of the book. The space saving is incredible. I wish I'd had this thing when I was living in the camper.

    ReplyDelete