Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kony 2012


See, here's the thing. “Raising awareness”, in and of itself, doesn't do anything. Nothing. You have to act. You have to do something more than re-blogging, clicking a “Share” button, or even putting up posters.

We've all been aware of cancer in its many forms for centuries. We're aware of spouse abuse, child abuse, drug abuse, self abuse. We're aware of HIV, HPV, ADD, ADHD, and the heartbreak of psoriasis. Our awareness hasn't made any of them go away, has it?

“But it's the least I can do.” Yup. Clicking your mouse and clacking your keyboard really is just about
the least you can do.

For one thing, the organization that's sponsoring the whole mess seems a bit fishy. Read this:

http://jezebel.com/5891269/think-twice-before-donating-to-kony-2012-the-meme-du-jour

The US already has about 100 troops in Uganda to help. Kony has been indicted, and the free world is looking for him, he's just apparently good at evasion. Bin Laden was behind the worst ever attack on our country, and look how long it took us to find him. As for civil rights violations, yes – Kony is a sonofabitch and should die painfully. But what about North Korea's oppression of its people? That affects many more than Kony has the ability to. Realistically, which should be prioritized higher?

So, go ahead and reblog, “share”, retweet, and put up your posters, bumper stickers, and fliers. Just don't expect it to accomplish anything.

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I agree. I did share the video on my FB wall because truthfully I had never heard of the guy (although it certainly didn't surprise me that that type of thing was occurring) and thought it was worth sharing in case there were others like me that hadn't heard of the Kony. I must admit that I was totally impressed with the guy's mad skillz as a director -- his editing, his creativity, and his ability to get the OMG factor raised. Truthfully, that's another reason I shared it.

    Am I going to donate money to this organization? Absolutely not. I rarely donate money. Even the very respected American Cancer Society is suspect (if I can find an extensive article about its dark side, I'll send it to you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard allusions to something bad about ACS, but I don't know anything specific. I'd be interested to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.foodmatters.tv/_webapp_463179/Is_It_Time_To_Boycott_The_American_Cancer_Society

    Let me know if it doesn't open up and I'll send it a different way.

    ReplyDelete